Google is changing your titles for you…whether they’re “optimized” or not!
Google is overruling your title tags when they determine that your content headlines are more relevant.
Previously, I had only seen this behavior when there were not well-structured title tags, keyword-stuffed title tags or no title tags at all. This has been well documented and discussed. This is the first time that I have noticed Google taking a more aggressive stance in rewriting title tags that have been well crafted. Continue reading “Google Rewrites Your Search Result Titles for Relevance”
A comparison in travel sites search results page titles
Wow, Priceline…who did you hire for SEO?
I was shopping around for a good price on a hotel in Aspen when William Shatner’s “Falcoln of Truth” showed me how not to write page titles.
Check out Priceline‘s horrific search results page title:
Priceline.com - hotel, hotel reservation, cheap hotel, las vegas hotel, boston hotel, hotel deal, new york city hotel, hotel rooms, motel, lodging, accommodations, casino hotel, priceline
That is a terrible example of keyword stuffing, and is…well…awful. Even search results pages should be optimized. Priceline should know that! Continue reading “How Not to Optimize Your Search Results Page Title – Priceline.com Should Know Better”
Format your search results for SEO
Works great for SEO searches on the iPhone!
It’s frustrating doing searches with SEO in mind, then having Google add SearchWiki, personalized results, and other localizations that mess up what you wanted: accurate results. Here’s the solution: The SEO It! Bookmarklet.
- I do lots of searching as an SEO. I look for ranking, competition, additional keywords, etc. I use Google a LOT. And I use Apple’s Safari browser.
- By default, I am logged in to my Google account, and have Google preferences set to showing 100 results at a time. The problem? Google shows different ranking and links based on the number of results you see.
- I have Google Web History enabled, and Google provides me with “Personalized results based on my search history.” When doing SEO, I don’t want these results: I want what others will see.
- I use SearchWiki to move up results of websites I have created. When trying to get accurate SEO ranking, this is frustrating.
- I do SEO searches on my iPhone, too – where I need to manually strip out the annoying
&client=safari to see a normal results page.
Continue reading “SEO It! Bookmarklet – Improves Search Results in iPhone & Safari”