Shopify is a great hosted eCommerce provider. WordPress is the best blogging platform.
I first learned about Shopify in 2007, and was very interested in their service: they take care of every aspect of an eCommerce shop, and you pay them monthly plus a little cut of your sales.
- Themes: Shopify has a great theme generator package that uses Ruby on Rails and it also has a theme store with tons of beautiful, standards-compliant themes.
- Apps: The Shopify App Store features free and paid applications that integrate using the Shopify API.
- Hosting: Shopify uses Rackspace and Akamai for hosting and as a CDN, respectively. Security, hosting, etc.
- …and tons of other features
I am still impressed with Shopify, but when I logged in recently to my Shopify account, I saw that Shopify’s “blogging” functionality is weak. Very weak. When I saw that there was an app to import a WordPress blog into Shopify, I laughed, and went ahead creating a Shopify importer for WordPress.
Import Shopify Products as Blog Posts
The Shopify Importer plugin is designed to make blogging about each of your products simple.
- Export your products from Shopify (Go to Products, click on Export Products, then Export all products). This will save a CSV file to your computer.
- In WordPress, go to Tools > Import. Click on Shopify.
- Follow the instructions, select the CSV file from your computer
- Click the Upload file and import button
When products are imported, the tags are converted to WordPress tags, vendors are converted to categories (if selected), and all the product information is stored as a Custom Field for the post or page.
There are plans to expand the plugin to add additional functionality. What would you like to be added to the plugin?